BS8519:2010 Life Safety & Fire Fighting
BS 8519 is a new Code of practice giving guidance and recommendations for the “Selection and installation of fire resistant power and control cable systems for life safety and fire-fighting applications”
- It specifically covers high rise and complex buildings and recognises that the fire engineered solutions developed for such buildings require a high level of performance from components of the building services including electrical supplies.
- It is intended for designers, contractors, regulators and enforcers, fire authorities and inspectors.
- It identifies electrical loads defined as life safety or fi re-fighting and recommends minimum categories for particular applications.
- It identifies three categories of circuits (Categories 1, 2 and 3) with fire survival times of 30 min, 60 min and 120 min.
- It identifies appropriate cable tests for the categories.
- It aims to ensure that the level of circuit integrity of the cables is not compromised by other electrical system components.
- It does NOT give recommendations for the wiring of fire detection and fire alarm systems which are covered by BS 5839-1, BS 5839-8 and BS 5839-9 or emergency lighting systems which are covered by BS 5266-1.
BS 8519 was published in February 2010 and became effective immediately.